Cornice Board DIY: Window Treatment

I have been slowly but surely trying to make my rental/military cookie cutter home feel more homey, inviting and personalized to our style and taste.  Of course all of this has to be done on a budget which makes things interesting… and maybe more creative ;).  Anyway, I was poking around on Pinterest and other blogs trying to make my vertical blind windows more appealing without spending mucho $$$ on rods and curtains etc. etc.  So I saw some cornice board do it yourself projects using foam core, batting and fabric – and I thought, I can do that!  So here is how it went…

The Before…

The After:

Don’t you love how my cat is posing?  Haha!  I opened one window and left one closed so you can see both.  There is even another window on the other side.

A little closer.  One way I was able to keep this project very inexpensive is this fabric.  I made it.  The material is actually painters drop cloth that you can buy at Home Depot, a huge sheet for a few bucks.  I made a template based on Orla Kiely’s design and spray painted away.  I wanted it to look imperfect, a little smudgy and worn looking.

This is the framework for the board.  Duct tape seemed to work the best.  They measure 8.5 inches high and 4 inches on the sides.  The length was the width of the window plus 5 to 6 inches.

I ironed the drop cloth, cut it to the right size and then took it outside and spray painted it.  Then I added batting in between the board and custom fabric and wrapped it like a present.  I used more duct tape and a staple gun to secure it.

I secured the first one with “d” rings on the back and small nail but it actually worked better to just hold up the board and hammer a small nail at an angle through the side of the board into the wall.  It has a more “flush” look that way.

All I had to buy was 3 sheets of foam core which was about $7.  I had the drop cloth, spray paint, batting, and duct tape on hand.  Even if you had to buy those things, this would barely cost you $20.  I’m thinking about adding sheers underneath to hid the vertical blinds some more.  The 2 small windows are pretty small so I’m having trouble finding the right rod, but I may add that as well.  Still, much improved!  What do you think of my little diy?

 

These are the sites I checked out before I attempted this project.

http://www.coffeeandcabernet.com/2012/01/cornicepelmet-board-easy-diy.html

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/a-diy-cornice/

 

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrDigg this

Comments

  1. says

    You’re so cool! I do not think I have read through anything like that before. So good to find someone with some original thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the internet, someone with a little originality!
    rome ii total war recently posted..rome ii total warMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge